The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FMIC Install - need some advice

I have been pulling parts off my dead tsi and donating her organs to 1870. it must be possible, isnt everything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

So first I would like to know if you guys know the brand of this FMIC. I know it is not a cheap one and it was commonly sold to the DSM crowd.

This is a short route hard pipe setup:

How hard is it to move the radiator over ~2 inches?
Have any of you guys attempted a setup like this?
I know i will need to get the air grinder out to make some room. I will also need to remove the center of my crash bar.

If you guys have any other thoughts or ideas please post them.

Pictures:

your kind comments are much appreciated.

TylerAdamson

Many of the front mounts for the 1g are similar in design with slight differences. To me that looks like the original Buschur street kit or the Indy Race Core(IRC) kit. They used Spearco cores and performed well. The Spearco cores are old technology compared to the new Garrett cores which everyone seems to be using. Here is the old Buschur street core on the right.

dsmer06

Stevedsm has an intercooler that has piping routed a similar way. The radiator had a few rows on the drivers side removed and was brazed back together.

marvinmadman

Driver side? I thought the passenger side had the least amount of room?

dsmer06

Sorry, I've had a few, it was the passenger side that was cut down.

24935_1368699370522_1022823540_31132241_932159_n.jpg

Last edited:

thanks guys!

i really like the removed cores from the radiator idea. also the old Buschur street core looks identical.

thank you again

mitsuturbo

BR streetcore. I'm 99% certain. I wanted one of these for YEARS but they were just crazy expensive (more than they were worth).

I just installed something nearly identical, but i don't run a full radiator, so i won't have any issues with fitment as far as that goes.
My FMIC install is here.

If you cut the bumper like i did, it will retain a LOT of strength. Don't just go chopping out the whole entire center section. That takes all the strength out of the bumper, and your fascia may sag after a while.

Ok, now that i am getting serious about the FMIC install because the whole car is nearly done. Has anyone used the BC Street core and retained the A/C system? I would really like to keep it as i am living is sothern california.

I'm guessing I'll need to gently push/bend the lines closer to the alternator and then weld up some red headed step child pipe to snake in there. Cutting away from of the body of course.

Or... would i have better luck with the ETS hot pipes?

I noticed on mitsuturbo's build he didnt have a AC system.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks in advance for any ideas, tips and constructive criticism.

slugsgomoo

you should be able to bend the lines and cut out the metal and be fine. My a/c didn't work when I went to a short route fmic, so I just canned it all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

KiNgMaRtY

Yes, A/C is almost a must here is Cali. ETS or the Brodi hotside piping fits very nicely but you do have a different FMIC so who know how well it will attach

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned